Psychology of Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chivalry (Veritas/Savvy)

2 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Chivalry (Veritas/Savvy) Empty Chivalry (Veritas/Savvy)

Post by savfantasy Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 pm

In a time before the breaking of the world, when heros in shinning armor and 'mythical' creatures where commonplace, our story takes place.

We find ourselves in a small room with two cots and a shared closet. Inside, two young forms are huddled in a corner, whispering amoung themselves. One boy is tall and skinny, but one can sense a hidden strength behind his unintimidating form. His dark chestnut hair is tied up in a ponytail. His deep blue eyes seem continualy lost in thought. It was he that spoke now.

"Don't be ridicuouls, Tuven. Even if that would work, its just plain mean," the young man, Faelon, said. His companion, a large and muscular boy, shook his head.
"Don't tell me your one of those," he said with distatse. " 'Everyone has an equal right to be a knight. Even girls.' Is that right?"
"Oh, I dunno," Faelon said uneasily. "I think you'll have to do this one without me. Besides, they can fight alright. Didn't that new girl, Lainis, even best you in the sword arena last night?" His companioned reddened in unspeaken fury.
"That was pure chance, and you know it. Besides, m' sword arm cramped up." His voice raised as he defended himself. "And if you don't want to help me, then fine. I'll find someone else who isn't such a lilly-loving coward. Your magic isn't all that good anyway." He stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him.
Faelon, left alone in the room, sighed and stood up. Perhaps I will go wander the gardens until my next class. He thought with a smile. No unsettlement from the fight with his roommate was evident on his face. He walked out the door, and began to wander the halls.

(OOC: Faelon and Lainis will be my characters. Tuven is just an extra.)
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Chivalry (Veritas/Savvy) Empty Re: Chivalry (Veritas/Savvy)

Post by Veritas Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Eckart had been a stable boy and then a squire since he was old enough to be. His parents quickly were able to send him off to a knight to be taught and now found himself at the castle where other squires were gathered to continue his training which made his family even more pleased with him. Though he loved the work and he loved the idea of knighthood he couldn't help but feel a bit wrangled into the whole thing. But he was noble blood even if only a little and it was his privilege to do this. So he knew he ought to have been grateful. His father wanted to be a knight but had an accident as a young man that left him unable. So it was a sort of mercy to his father to do this even if he thought he could have been a scholar or some other calling just as well instead of wading in much for most of the day. He was in a school now on his way there was no time or chance to back out now. Besides his cousin Tula wanted to be knight and she always had to work harder and beg and pleased with her family even though she was just as good as any man he'd ever trained with. He should be happy he didn't have to fight so hard, he should be shouldn't he?

Eck was a shorter figure, the shorter side of average anyway and as tall as most women really. Though he was almost stout in his manner. A strong fellow and able looking enough for the task. It came from all the work and there were times his shorter size was a clear advantage at times and he tried to use that as often as possible. His dark brown hair tied back from his face gave him a clear view of the room and apparently a roommate had already been as his things were already neatly put away. Though he was no where insight. Eckart was glad of that he had a few moments to settle in before rushing off. He'd been late to this school of sorts. His knight needed him on a journey and they had just returned.

Tula had been there waiting for her cousin to show up and keeping out of the way of everyone as they moved. Luckily she wasn't the only girl there though clearly they were few and far between. Her roommate was admirable in the way she fought and Tula held her own alright and she hoped just to avoid trouble. That was all she wanted, to avoid any trouble at all. It just wasn't fair that she had to fight so hard to get anything on her own. All she wanted was to earn her own way by the sword. But she;d nearly gotten herself disowned of her own family name trying to get here. No matter, she was here it was done and she would be a night come hell or high water.

The taller blond woman had her hair pulled back in a tight bun as she sat in the gardens before running off to be instructed in something else. She was glad for the break and the opportunity to just breath and hoped that Eck wouldn't miss too much and her friend and cousin would be the small comfort and encouragement she needed to survive. He seemed like her only support of this most of the time and worthy sparring partner. Her face lit up in a small smile just thinking that her companion would be joining her soon.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

http://wannabepoet.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Faelon hummed to himself as he wandered the halls towards the gardens. His progress was stopped every now and again when he had to pause and bow to some noble or full knight. He sighed happily as he finally reached the door that would lead him outside. He stretched is arms out, and spun around in a quick circle. My, but it did feel good to be in the fresh air again. He walked around for a bit, his humming turning to whistling as he soaked up the sunlight.
In the path ahead of him, he saw a young woman sitting on a bench. Her eyes were closed, and she wore a smile of contentment. After a brief moment of contemplation, he walked up to her, picking a rose as he went. With a flourished bow, he presented her with the flower.
"If I am not mistaken, My Lady, I have seen you around the practice yards. Are you a squire here, as well?" He gave her his best smile, trying to ignore how awkward he felt at the moment.

Lainis entered her room moments after her roommate left. Solitary by nature, one couldn't help but wonder if she had avoided the other girl on purpose. As she entered the room, she gave a half-hearted glance towards the mirror. As always, her bright red hair was the first thing she noticed. Cropped short for convenience, it was currently darkened by sweat. Her brown eyes sparkled with determination. Lainis was small for her age, but she didn't let her disadvantage stifle her dreams. Her father had been a knight; one of the best in the land. The court had been very disappointed when he had died after only giving birth to a daughter. But she would show them. She had no spare time; every second she trained in someway to make up for her physical disadvantage. As a result, she was much stronger than she looked, and skilled in most forms of combat. After waving aside her reflection, she moved towards the window. Outside, she had a clear view of the gardens. She watched with ill-humor as a tall squire walked up to her roommate, but soon turned away from the window as she lost interest. Besides, there was work to be done. She grabbed her quarterstaff from its corner, and walked briskly to the practice yards. She had maybe an hour before classes started, and she had no intention of wasting that time.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 pm

There wasn't any time to waste at all he;d missed so much and very soon Eckart was ready for practice. He had to work hard and prove himself to his superiors the faith his sire had in him enough to send him here to finish his training and fight along side him. He looked out a window himself at the morning sun and knew he had to get out and practice to make sure he was up to par with the others. He only had about an hour and with a determined look on his young face he gathered what he needed and jogged out to the fields. Though he had to stop every few minutes to show respect. Which he was already finding annoying. He was used to only stopping and bowing for one sire who only half cared if he did or not. Work needed to be done he didn't have time to grovel.

At last he'd made it out to the fields and there was already someone out there and to his surprise it was another girl. Not that he had a problem with it at all. He knew others did as per his cousins struggle. It was just he wasn't really expecting to see any others besides Tula here. It was a good surprise, not all men were meant to be knights and not women were simple housewives. But then again he wasn't a speaker and usually stumbled over himself when trying to explain his odd way of thinking. All the same he walked over, seeing as she was the only one out at the moment.

“Excuse me, I was wondering if you would do me the honor of sparring with me before class begins.” he called out as he moved closer.

Tanned faced short stocky build and almost like a small wall moving though. He'd been out with his knight he'd seen things before and he planned on using that too to his advantage.

She looked upset about something. Or maybe that was just the girls look of concentration. The sort hair was interesting, practical choice she looked like she was here to work and probably had a bit of a chip on her shoulder from having to prove herself. He wasn't going to hold back though to make her look good. That would be a mistake and only hold her back really in the long run.

Tula opened her eyes hearing footfalls in her direction and was almost taken a back at the gesture and flushed nervously. Though it was sweet, she supposed. He was trying to be nice and not insulting. Though she had to smile imagining if he'd done this to Lanis she'd have probably beheaded him on the spot. Tula just appreciated that he thought to do it. She had callouses on her hands and was much stronger than the other girls and it often left her feeling not very pretty. Even though she'd not come to be pretty she came to work and be a knight.

“Oh, yes.' and took his offered gift avoiding the thorns. “I'm Tula,” and then offered her hand for a firm shake instead of a curtsey which usually caught most off their guard. “You almost had her yesterday, in practice.”
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Lainis glared at this well-built man that was approaching her. Although she was normally a friendly enough person, a few weeks in the castle had taught her that it was best to be weary of other squires. Especially if they were being friendly. Despite that, she was not about to turn down a challenge.
"It would be my honor," she said with a small bow. She took up her staff and assumed the "ready" pose. In the few seconds she had as her opponent got ready, she studied him. He defiantly had the advantage; he was both bigger and stronger. Searching for a physical weakness was obviously a waste of time, in this case. She would have to be quick and decisive if she was going to win this match. And she would win this. Her eyes narrowed. Once Eckart had assumed the position, they began.
As she had guessed, he was much stronger than her. She found herself struggling to keep his attacks from breaking through her guard. She blocked each one however, waiting for an opening. When she thought she saw one, she attacked. He was faster than she had anticipated, and blocked her attack just before it hit him. She jumped back, and the two began to circle. Despite herself, Lainis found herself smiling. This match was turning out to be more fun than she had expected.

Faelon smiled as the woman shook his hand. Her grip was surprisingly strong. Just as he had thought; woman knights were not to be underestimated. And that went for squires, too.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Tula," he said with an authentic smile. "My name is Faelon. And I'm afraid my lady has me confused with someone else. It was my brute-of-a-roommate who lost in practice the day before. I haven't had the pleasure of dueling a female squire, as of yet." He motioned towards the bench.
"Would it be alright if I joined you?"
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Tula smiled and nodded and gestured to the set next to her. Friends here were hard to come by. Either they didn't think she belonged there or she was some kind of competition. So the friendly behavior was welcomed. “Excuse me then. He did almost have her. I meant to tell him so yesterday but he seemed a little angry by the whole thing and thought it best not to say anything at all. Perhaps we'll be matched at practice today. I haven't had the pleasure of dueling a female squire either.” she grinned a t her small joke and not meaning to call him a girl at all but rather alluding to the fact she'd not fought her roommate.

He was a nice boy, nice looking, friendly and not overly suspicious or seemingly upset at her being here. Such a very nice change of pace. It would be good to know someone else other than Eckart when he got here. Sitting alone at meals and hiding in her room was getting very old hat at this point.

Eckart was in for quite a fight and was glad for a challenge, but it meant that he had a lot of work to do to catch up here if all of them were as smart as she was. He may have been strong and was trying to out strength her but she was fast and quick on her feet. Her staff caught him square where she aimed it and it wasn't long before she beat him. There wasn't any way he would let her go otherwise and never went down without a fight. But it was fin, a good round and after they'd finished he extended his hand in congratulations. “Your quick, good job.”
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Faelon thanked her as he took a seat. "Don't worry about Tuven. I don't think he'd appreciate it very much if you brought that up, any way." He was slightly perplexed by her word choice, but he ignored that. "I'd like it very much if we could be sparing partners. If it doesn't work out that way, perhaps we could practice together sometime." He leaned back and looked up at the sky. He always found it easier to talk to people when he was not looking at them. He never really noticed the fact that it insulted some people.

Lainis laughed and took the hand he had offered. She gave it a firm shake, then let go. Walking over to the fence to grab her towel, she had to shake out her sore arms. "You're not half bad yourself," she replied with a smile. She wiped some sweat off of her face, trying to think. She had done it again - acting friendly before thinking. It was too late to fix anything now; she would have to hope that he didn't turn out like all the other "friends" she had made here.
"You're in my manners class, aren't you?" she asked slowly. "Perhaps we could walk there together?"
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 am

Don't forget to add in that third paragraph. I can move this to beginners if you like so we don;t have to think about the limit.))

Tula actually smiled up at him again, she noted in her own mind she hadn't actually smiled this much in a while. “I would like that. I'm glad you decided to come down here. You know, My cousin Eckart is supposed to be arriving very soon. He was called out on a journey with his sire before the classes were supposed to start. I used to spar with him all the time”

As children when he'd be home from being away with the sire and the knight was kind enough to bring him home for a while, which was unusual. They would play fight and dream about knighthood together, It was where the whole dream had started and she started to follow news of women knights and dream about being one of them someday. Her parents were sure it was a passing fancy. But it stuck. The whole idea getting deep inside her until she had come all the way here by her own strength and merit. But without the sparring and encouragement from her cousin she knew this would have never happened and she wanted badly to share this experience with him.

There was a list he'd been given just two short hours ago when he'd arrived and barely remembered what it was he was supposed to be going to, half of them he though were completely unnecessary. Like manners for instance. But this was what he'd have to face if this was indeed going to end in his knighthood. “I have no idea where I'm going, I'd appreciate walking with you.” he lips curling up in a half smile as he reached over where he'd rested his own cloth to clean off his sweat. Being clean and not smelling like a barn or the practice yard not occurring to the man in the slightest.

“I got here two hours ago from my sire's journey.” His sire who was supposed to be helping to teach and was sure that the others would be cross with him for being late. But the knight always remarked it with a chuckle . A devil may care attitude which the boy appreciated very very much.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:40 pm

(OOC: Oh no, I just forgot there was a limit. Havn't read the rules in a while. I'll do better from now on. Very Happy )

With a quick glance at his timepiece, Faelon stood up and stretched. He could hardly believe they had been talking for so long. He took out a crumpled pice of paper from his back pocket, and straightened it out the best he could.
"Well, looks like I have History of Magic first. And I believe it's about time for class to start. Where are you heading to?"
The son of two common magicians, it surprised no one when Faelon showed an early intrest in magic. His strong sense of morals however, didn't sit well with the local magistrate's often . . . less than ethical practices. When his father requested him admitance to the Watchers' law enforcement registary, he was refused. Faelon was hardly disappointed, so he made it his own mission in life to become a full fledged Knight's Magician, a rank which hadn't been reached in generations. Then, he believed, he would have the power to spread his beloved code of chivalry across the land. Of course, he would have to stop daydreaming, for that to happen. Which was a fact that he came to abruptly as he realized that he had completly missed Tula's response.
"I'm sorry, what was that?" he asked, shaking his head.

Lainis smiled up at Eckart, slightly poeaxed. This man seemed surprisingly genuine. It was. . . refreshing to say the least.
"I'd be glad to show you where your classes are, if you'd like." She made a face. "I was assigned to a desk-knight, so I'm almost always in the castle. I know my way around pretty well, although I'd rather not." She motioned towards the castle. "I just need to stop by my room to pick up my books. I hope that's alright?" Eckart nodded, and the two set off together. The two made almost comidic companions, since Eckart had to take very small steps to match the small girl's stride. Although it grated at Lainis a little, she was able to ignore it. After all, this was one of the few people who had been nice to her since she had entered her journey into knighthood. There was no reason to ruin that now. Lainis lead the way to her room silently, and unlocked the door. As it swung open however, she could only stare in horror at what was in front of her.

Her's and Tula's belongings had been thrown across the room; not even the most embarassing of items being spared. Their beds, which had once been made neatly, now lay in crumpled messes across the floor. Someone had even gone far enough as to remove Lainis' mattress from its frame. A large puddle, which by its smell could only be one thing, lay in the middle of her floor, ruining everything it touched. Large red words of hatred had been painted on to their walls.

Witch, Weakling, Woman

Go Home!

Stay in the kitchen!

Some of them were too vulgar to even bother reading. Her hands clinched into tiny fists by her side. She needn't wonder who did this; most of her peers could be suspects. Tears of hatred burned in her eyes as she looked at the carnage that was once her nice and quiet retreat.
"You know," she laughed in ill humor, "this isn't even the first time this has happened. I don't know why they won't give us some sort of magical ward." She dashed away her tears angrily, and turned to Eckart, half expecting him to be grinning. Perhaps he had even been in on it.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Had it really been that long? She leaned over on the bench to glace at it as well and smiled. “Oh wow, look at that. I'm off to 'Courtly Etiquette' and then battle strategies. But we are out on the fields together. So I'll see you then if no other time.” and leaned down picking out her books from under the bench. She'd thoughtfully brought her things with her so she didn't need to return to the room before going off to class. “I could walk with you think I believe its on the way. I think its impressive really, magic. I've never been any good at all.” Nope too much like what her parents may actually accept,. Though it wasn't conscious the way she had never picked up the knack for it. “So your studying magic and for knighthood? Is it difficult to do both?” with either one being a lifelong dedication and study it was admirable to say the least he decided to tempt both this way.

The tall blond stood up from her seat with her things in her arms and stretched her long legs watching the squire magician. The flare for something else probably came from the magic creative side of him. Most guys around here who didn't hate her for her gender were straight forward brutish men. Like Eckart, it wasn't bad just very different from this person here who she was happy to get to know.

He looked up at her after having a foggy look in his eyes and she laughed quietly. “I can walk with you I'm on my way to manners. Is it hard to be a squire and a magic student?”

Her small stature and short legs made his walk a little shorter but he didn't mind anyone complaining for being late he could only just explain that he had just arrived and he was sure that would be all they needed. Eckhart was glad for the good start and new friend it would seem as they walked together, “I don't mind.” and walking though the halls of the old castle he got to note more of the surroundings he'd missed blowing though to the practice yard. “I haven't received books or anything yet I suppose I'll get them when I get to my classes.” Book learning, how dull. He was taught to read and write and to grove to the appropriate person why did he now have to go though this useless gibberish? Why weren't they out fighting and honing the skill they needed to defend the crown? So very useless. But like always he reminded himself he had to and he would do whatever was necessary.

He was about to ask as they reached the room if she'd met Tula when they opened the door and they were hit with the most dreadful display he;d seen yet. This was horrible and the very opposite of the noble behavior knights were expected to display. It only made him anger noting that a few things he did recognize were in fact Tulas. He could only stand there in shock and let the anger bubble over inside of him as his own fist clenched. He had a very angry expression as she looked at him probably expecting him to not be surprised or something of that nature. But he couldn't believe that in a school to be knights that they could still act this way.

“I'm going to find Sir Cannes and tell him about this. They can't just get away with this.” he could even barely believe that they had done this before like she'd said. “what did the knights say about this before? Why are they allowing this?” The bunch of cowards that whomever had done this were.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Faelon smiled at who he hoped had just become his new friend.
"Thank you, m'lady," he said with another practiced bow. "I would love to share your brilliant company for a bit longer." He began walking towards the castle, expertly leading her through the somewhat maze-like gardens. It was only after they had walked a ways that he realized that she had asked him a question. He began to talk now, hoping he was not making himself out to be a fool for taking so long to answer.
"Magic has always come as a sort of second nature to me. Since both it and knigthhood are things that I love studying, I don't mind that I have two sets of homework each night." He laughed lightly. "Besides, it will be well worth it when I'm done. Just imagine the sort of knight I can be once I master both. If my magic could save even one person that normal skills could not, then it will be well worth it." He was beginning to get lost in his daydreams again. Luckily, Tula was a fast learner, and was already beginning to recognize that expression. She coughed politely into her hand, bringing him back to reality. He blushed as he realized what had happened, and cleared his throat.
"A-anyway. I hope that answers your question." He breathed a sigh of relief as he noted that they were nearing his class. This whole talking to people bussiness was harder than he had calculated.

Lainis shook her head, trying to clear the agressive thoughts that where beginning to fill it. She was not as mad as she had been, however; it had been a pleasant surprise to find that Eckhart seemed truely appaled that this had happened.
"We'll be late to class if we report it now. It will have to wait." She nearly ignored his question; it hardly seemed worth answering to her.
"The knights will act horrified, of course," she said in a near growl. "They will offer thier 'most sincere appologies' and call for maids to clean it up. And then they will go about thier bussiness without fixing a damed thing. Because deep in thier heart-of-hearts, they agree with these vandals, although they'd never dare say it."
She wadded through the mess, digging around as she found the books she needed. She made a face as she saw that her mathmatics book had been unfortunate enough to be sitting in the ominous puddle. I'll have to share with someone today, I suppose, she thought, somewhat resigned. I wonder if the scholars will be buying me a new book, or if that will be my responsibility.

With all - or most of - her books, she rejoined Eckart in the hall. She avoided meeting his eyes as she spoke.
"We'll really have to run now, if we want to make it." She took off, not really waiting to see if he followed. Although she was nearly sprinting, Eckart barely had to jog to keep up. He made a show of it however, not wanting to make her feel worse. For once, Lainis actually didn't notice. The two arrived at class just before the bell rang. They took the last two seats available - right up front. She winced as the proffessor eyed her, as if he was simply waiting for her to make a mistake. Keep waiting, m'lord she thought angrily. I belong here. And I will not leave. She glared back at him, until he looked away in embarassment, and began class.

((Let me know if I get too controlling with your character. I have a bad habit about that, sometimes.))
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

So he was a bit scatter brained and needed a prod or two. He was still endearing and had a certain charm to him. Besides, it was so rare to find someone to treat her so nicely here. Even her roommate wasn't usually this pleasant. Though when bad things happened she was there in a pinch. He was someone she knew she could count on but not necessarily the nicest girl in the world. But you didn't become a knight to be nice. “I'll see you then, this is my stop.” and nodded to a door near his. “It was nice to meet you.” and smiled a grateful smile before shifting her books to her other arm and waving gently before ducking into the room.

It appeared her roommate wasn't there yet and they didn't have very long to make it in time. So she sat near a couple empty desks where she could watch for her and giver a friendly place to sit near the back where it would be work to turn and stare at the two of them. That and the teacher may not notice them at first to pick them out. Nervously she kept glancing to the door expecting her to break in any moment now. But other filed in sat in around her leaving two empty seats up front which made her sigh with regret. So far for trying to be nice. And insisting the seat was saved would do no good at all. When she manaked to squeak in just in time she was happily surprised at the sight of her cousin who slipped after her looking quite angry about something. Come to think of it, so did Lanis. Though she assumed it was because they'd had a fight and not that there room was all topsy-turvy again.

Eckart did look quite furious and was glad there was little time to be noticed before class was scheduled to start because he could have planned the whole lesson himself based on the sight of the room he;d just seen. Clearly they weren't learning anything useful in this class.

I prefer you didn't control my chracters at all. But just that once is ok.))
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:39 pm

((Okay. I'm sorry. I'll try to control myself. xD))

Lainis continued glarring at the teacher for most of the hour as he lectured them on the proper use of silverware. Although the class was unbelievably exciting, she found herself unable to pay even the slightest bit of attention. Besides, this was all basic stuff that she had learned as a little girl on her father's knee. She knew the proper way to use manners; she just usualy choose not to. Rather than focus on the lesson, she turned her thoughts instead to the strange man who was sitting by her side. As she glanced over at him through the corner of her eye, she saw that he still appeared to be steamming. How bizare. Had she actually found a decent canadite for knighthood? To most of her classmates, chivalry was simply something to be memorized and forgoten. It would be rather refreshing to find a person who still had a sense of justice about them. She sighed, and turned her attention temperarily to the clock as she watched the minute hand drag painfuly along.

Faelon scuttered into class just seconds before the bell rang. He pretended not to notice his proffessor rolling her eyes at him. He was a very promising student, but his lack of common sense and punctuality bothered her. With a snap of her fingers, the roudy class became silent. She may be a woman, but she had proven to this class the first day that she put up with no nonsense. Faelon gave her a cheerful smile as he sat down. The only sound in the room was the shuffling of papers as her students prepared to take notes.

"Today, we will begin learning a few basic healing spells. . ." the teacher began. Faelon began scribbling furiously to keep up with his teacher's fast-paced lecture. It didn't matter to him that he had already mastered most level one healing spells; it was always good to get a new perspective on things. Despite his whole-hearted effort to give his full and undivided attention to his lesson, he found his eyelids growing heavy for some reason. It confused him; he had never before had troubles with falling asleep in class. He saw a few students looking back in his direction, and an unexplained hunch caused him to mutter a reverse-incantation spell. Within seconds, he was feeling better again, and his would-be bullies were getting scolded for sleeping in class. He found himself humming quietly. Sometimes, it paid to be a bookworm.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 pm

He just couldn't seem to get through the day and instead of taking notes, which Eckart appeared to be doing, he was drafting a letter on why this sort of behavior was appalling and the girls room should not only be cleaned up and have all ruined things replaced by the school they should have a magic ward placed upon the door. It wasn't the most eloquent. He wasn't usually that well spoken unlike Tula. But his master was. He was lucky to have a close relationship with him and was very very intent on giving him the letter directly and trust the situation to him. He knew he could trust the knight to get something done. But someone had to break the unfortunate news to Tula.

Tula was over joyed to see him and as soon as they were let out to the next classes she ran up and have the stocky boy a bug hug and an even bigger smile “Eckart your finally here!” she cheered happily until she noticed the look on his face. It hadn't quite gone away and it only caused her to sigh. “I see you mat my roommate.” and took a step bap looking behind him at Lanis. “Did.. did you run into trouble?” she didn't want to outright say it and she did have the tenancy to rub people quite the wrong way.

Eckart looked to the girl with the short hair and to his cousin. “Not exactly. I..” he frowned. “I have to find my sire quickly before my next class I'll leave tit to Lanis.” and took up his first book he'd received at the class to get to the knight before he had to be off to another useless boring thing.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Lainis sighed as Eckart walked off. She turned to her roommate, unsure of how to continue. Finaly she decided that there was no use beating around the bush.
"They did it again. Our room." She didn't need to say more; this sort of thing happened nearly weekly.
"They've gotten more creative, though. They didn't have to break down the door, this time. They must have a magic user on thier side. Someone that had access to the page and squire halls as well. . ." she trailed off, loosing herself in her thoughts. She frowned, and looked up to see what her roommate's response would be.

Faelon was packing up his bags at the end of class when his teacher called him over. With a frown, he picked up his bag and went over to her desk.
"Is there a problem, ma'am?" he asked, confused. She shook her head.
"Is it true that you havn't been assigned to a knight yet?" she asked him in a kind voice. He shrugged, suddenly uncomfertable.
"Well, I'd have to stop my magic studies to travel with a knight. Besides," he paused for a moment, and scratched the back of his head. "To be honest, ma'am, I don't know that any current knight will have me. I've heard them talking, when they thought I was away. They think that my using magic is cheating, like, having magic is a shortcut to knighthood." He looked down to the floor, embarassed.
"That's ridiculous." His teacher sniffed. "Magic is an important tool, to be polished just like any sword." She smiled warmly at him.
"Thank you, ma'am. I hope that I can find a sire that feels the same. Perhaps next year one of my friends will take me on. I do know some people that will be knighted this year. . ."
"Just make sure that you find someone. Even if they don't like you too much at first, you can change thier mind. You know that you need four years under a knight before you can become one yourself."
Faelon nodded, and walked out into the hall.

He wandered around for a bit; he had an hour in between his classes. He was almost slammed against a wall as a large squire charged down the hallway. Something had upset him, that was sure. As he was walking, Tavon came up to him and put his arm around the taller boy's shoulders. He pulled him to a stop, and stood up on his toes so he could reach Faelon's ear.
"We did it without you, after all, pal," he whispered with a grin. "You should see; it's the best we've done yet." Faelon pushed his roommate off of him, shocked.
"I told you to leave it alone!" he hissed. His slow-to-rise temper was beginning to heat up.
"Those girls work just as hard as we do. Harder." He shook his head. "I have to report this. You should have just left it alone."

Tavon's eyes widened in fury, and he grabbed Faelon's cloak and spun him back around.
"Look here, you won't tell a soul what we did. I'm your roommate. You owe me a sort of. . . loyalty. Besides, if you squeal, I'll tell everyone that you was in on it, and then started feeling bad after. You won't turn us in." Tavon let his roommate go, and walked away with a smug look on his face. Faelon stood there for a while, struggling with himself. He wanted to do what was right, but no knight would take him if there was even a rumor of him doing something so unchivalrous. He shook his head. Perhaps Tula would speak on his behalf, but he had just met the girl. Did he really trust her with his whole future?
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 pm

It wasn't all that shocking though it did explain what made Eckart so angry and she could only shake her head. Her face pulling down into a frown brows furrowing together. But she didn't look sad or surprised at all “well, we'll have to clean it up. There wasn't anything else to do. But as she turned to get her books from her desk she thought of Faelon. “I.. I met someone today. I think he may be able to help. He studies magic he may know some sort of protection for the room. And then slowly turned to watch Lanis to see her expression. Tula was sure she would trust anyone at all, especially a male. Though she leaned forward and spoke softly. “Hes really supportive about us being here and he may know who's doing this.”

Though she did realize if Lanis went along with it it would be putting him at risk. If anyone knew he helped he may be in for the same sort of treatment. “Did Eckart see?' she spoke again after a moment of quiet. She was sure he did and if he did she had a small thought about where he rushed off to.

Eckart found hid master quickly. The man was in trouble for one thing or the other often so all he had to do was folloed the trail of annoyed looking knights and there the man stood. Though all he could do before needing to run off again was hand off the note.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Lainis shook her head.
"I just don't know. I trust your judgement and all, to a degree, but what if he's just fooling you? For all we know, he could have even helped. I just don't know that we can trust anyone here. Even the instructors seem to be against us. And yes, Eckart saw. He was surprisingly upset. Is that the cousin you were telling me about?" She looked around for the squire-in-question. He had run off somewhere as soon as class ended. She was hoping to talk to him some more. After all, since one of the females was his family, it now made sense why he was so supportive. She looked down the hall, and saw a tall man with troubled blue eyes walking towards them. He looked up with a smile as he reached them.

"Ah, Tula! It's so wonderful that I get the enjoyment of your company again so soon." Although his complement was just as flowery as the ones he had given before, this one seemed to lack conviction. He was still wrestling with his guilt.
"Listen, and please don't take this the wrong way, but . . . did anything happen to you since we last saw eachother?" He looked up, meeting her eyes searchingly. There was still a part of him that wished that his roommate had been lying to him. Perhaps they hadn't done anything yet.

Lainis glared at this newcommer unforgivingly. This must be th man that Tula had been talking about; the magic user. She looked him up and down, trying to figure him out. While she could find no trace of insincerity, she did sense that he was hiding something. She leaned against the wall to give the two some room. She didn't want to intrude, but she was also not willing to walk away from this conversation. It looked like it was going to be an eventful one. And she could use some entertainment after the morning she had had.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Tula had just nodded to confirm her statement when Faelon had found them. She still looked as bothered as be fore and as she looked at his face as he sprouted more flowery statements, it wasn't that she didn't believe him it was just that he wasn't confident about this one. Not by his voice or the expression on his face. She couldn't help but wonder if he did have something to do with it. He looked guilty, there was something he felt he needed to repent of, at last that's what she assumed from looking at him.

“Unfortunately our room was broken into and messed up again.” she sighed not being able to help herself and offering to herself and gesturing to Lanis when she mentioned 'our' room waving her hand between them.” She was just too disappointed to be much angry but that could change quickly if he was involved and with her roommate close by there was no getting away. Either he was truly sorry, had nothing to do with it, or had far more courage then she gave him credit for.

She looked up again and searched back into his eyes was a tired but unyielding gaze “why?”
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Faelon scratched the back of his head uncertainly. He still didn't know that he could trust her. He took a deep breath. There was only one way to find out.
"Well," he began slowly, "my roommate mentioned a prank he was going to try. He didn't tell me details, but he wanted my help." He saw that the conversation was quickly going down hill, and he spoke again quickly.
"I didn't help. I want you to know that. I even told him not to do it! It's just . . ." he trailed off, unsure of how to continue. "But he did. And now he says that he'll take me down with him if I tell anyone. But I was with you in the garden, so. . ." he didn't know how to tell her that he needed her protection. He swallowed his pride anyway.
"If you'll help me, I think we can get him the punishment he deserves. But we can't go to the professors. They all love him, for some reason." He shrugged, clearly at a loss for words, and waited to see how the girls would react.

Lainis for one, was fairly impressed. She had never seen a boy so clearly ask for help from a girl. Regardless of what she thought however, she still didn't know this man. It would be up to Tula to accept him. Or not. She coughed, and exused herself.
"Have to use the little knight's room."

She went around the corner, and stood there waiting. She didn't want them to check thier conversation for her sake, but she still wanted to hear what was said. She felt a little bad for eavesdropping on her friend like this, but she felt it was necissary. She closed her eyes so that she could hear what was said better.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm

Tula realized how difficult this had to be. He was like them in a way. Different, not exactly belonging there but determined to stay. So he didn't have to ask and she didn't have to accept. But with her cousin here she knew it would be safe and the four of them could think of something. She lowered her head in thought for a moment and looked up at him with a resigned look to her tanned face. “Yes.” she nodded “I'll help and I'm sure Eckart, my cousin and Lanis will too. I wont let anything happn to you. Maybe you can get switch to Eckarts quarters and if he has a roommate he can switch to your room.”

It wasn't much of a plan but she was eager to her his thoughts on how to stop this. Eckart meanwhile was still very very angry but made his way back to the class room but ran into Lanis before he reached the door and stopped quietly with his arms crossed over her chest watching her listen quietly. He didn't want to blow her cover so he stood silently waiting to see what was happening.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Faelon smiled with relief.
"Thanks. I'm sure I will need a new roommate, when this is all said and done." He took a deep breath before continuing.
"Your roommate and cousin are listening to us, by the way. I don't really mind, since they will need to be in on this too, but I thought you might like to know." He motioned towards the hallway that the two were standing in. He kept his voice low however, so that the two in question would not hear.
"Now then, I need to think of someway to convince these guys that hazing is not the best way to prove thier worthiness to become knights." He stood there thinking for a while, musing his ideas outloud.

"We might could take vengance, but that would hardly seem noble. No, we need to show that we are better than them. Perhaps one of you ladies could present them with an open challenge. They wouldn't be able to refuse without damaging thier honor, and it would be a way to prove your worth and shut them up. As long as you win, thier own shame should keep them on the up-and-up for a while."

Lainis listened with interest. An open challenge might be just the thing that they needed to prove they were better. A practice match was one thing, but it was hard to prove a point with a blunted weapon. Perhaps when the danger was real the cowards would show thier true colors. She raised her eyebrows in a silent question to Eckart. She was beginning to trust him, and she wanted to know what he thought of the plan.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Eckart nodded as he heard the other mans idea even smiling just a little when the magic user noted they were listening in. “I figured they wold be.” mused Tula quietly when he noted there eaves dropping. “They wouldn't be able to refuse an open challenge and I'm sure Lanis would be more than happy to.” but privately she was worried that she wasn't good enough. That in a challenge with real weapons that she would fail. Maybe someone who was better, like Eckart could challenge in her place, she only hoped her look of deep thought would not give away her private fears as she looked at the floor thinking about all of this.

Eckart leaned forward speaking softly to Lanis. “I think we can go in now they know were here.” almost in a chuckle, a jovial way that he spoke despite the serious situation. He already had plans to simply make the switch on his own and tell anyone who asked his master simply told him to do so Under orders. The man had read the note he was sure his knight would figure it out. Either that or they would just deal with the consequences either way the short broads shouldered Eckart was bound and determined to barrel on. As was how he generally behaved with anything else.

Tula looked up with a nervous smile. “We'll think of something I think you have a good idea with a challenge. We'll train for it and when we're ready we'll make our challenge beat Lanis and I and they win we win they leave us alone.
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Lainis gave Eckart a crooked smile.
"I supose there's not much point in hidding if they know we're here." She stepped out from behind the corner, and walked up to the other two. Faelon looked deep in thought, which she was already beginning to get used to. Tula seemed to be thinking as well, but she looked more. . . worried. Lainis patted her shoulder.
"Don't worry. Your friend has a good idea. This will prove once and for all that we are good enough to be here."
She looked around her friend's faces.

"But we can't wait long. We want them to know why this is happening. But, we need to decide what the challenge will be. A sword fight would be most effective - we would have a chance to get a little vengance along with proving our point. An archery match would work as well however. In that case, I feel that Tula should issue the challenge." She looked over at her friend.
"As much as I hate to admit it, you are better with a bow than I."

Faelon listened silently as his plan was laid out and evaluated. It seemed like it would work. . . right? His mind raced, going over all possible outcomes. As he figured it, the worst thing that could happen would be for Lainis - or Tula - to loose. In a carefuly regulated match, death shouldn't be an issue. And even if the regulator didn't stop it in time, he personaly knew a few spells that would stop either contestant in under a second. But if they did loose. . . what would happen? His eyebrows knitted together as he thought. It could cause problems with finding a knight to sponser them, but they were already having problems with that. Except for Eckart, he didn't think that any of them had knight-masters yet. And if they won. . . it could possibly help them find sires. He smiled. This plan might actually work.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Veritas Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Tula was just a little taller than Eckart and Lanis, the shorter black of a man coming up on her other side and patted her back gently. “Then Lanis issues Challenge at sword and Tula at the bow against their best men and we'll see what happens.” Finding masters for the other two would definitely be a good outcome and he was choosing to look at the positives. They had time to plan no need to rush anything yet. And he looked t the other three glad to be with people his own young age for a change. Sure he knew things and he could act all touch but it was lonely being out away from everyone he knew for so long at least now he had the chance to be normal.

He turned and glanced at Lanis for a moment watching her being encouraging, it was nice he got the impression she wasn't usually this kind. But they had to be a team and stick together if they were going to get anything done. “Come on you.” he glanced over at Faelon, of whom he'd not really caught his name. “I'm putting you into my room now before anyone notices yet.” and nodded towards the way to the rooms. Still appearing to be pretty happy. “not much time before needing to be off again.”

Tula smiled again with a shaky sigh. “Ok. I'll challenge someone at archery and you at sword. I'm sure it will work.” she nodded looking up at the other two before Eck decided to get a head start on moving Faelon over. “when do we challenge?”
Veritas
Veritas
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Lainis began walking for dramatic effect.
"Tomorrow." Her desired effect was slightly ruined when Faelon pointed out that she was heading in the wrong direction. A light blush colored her cheeks, but she turned around and bustled off in the other direction.
"So, are you comming?" She asked the other three. Her new friends laughed lightly before following her.

Faelon caught up to her first; her small stride was easy for his long legs to match. He soon took the lead to keep her from embarassing herself more. To take her mind off her previous mistake, he began to talk. Most of his conversation was about things she didn't understand however, and she soon excused herself and fell back to where Tula and Eckart were walking.

"It will be most effective if we act as soon as possible. How confident to you feel about your archery, Tula? I noticed you looking nervous before. Was it for you, or me?" Although she had every bit of faith in Tula's archery skills, she wanted to make sure that Tula herself had confidence. Without that, it was very possible that she would loose.
savfantasy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next