Psychology of Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fears and Phobias

5 posters

Go down

Fears and Phobias Empty Fears and Phobias

Post by LunarScorpio Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 pm

By definition a fear is, “a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid” (dictionary.com). A phobia is, “a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it” (dictionary.com). The major difference between the two is that a phobia is an irrational fear while a fear is an emotion brought upon by an impending danger.

With all the technical stuff out of the way, we can get down to the conversation topic. What are you fears and phobias if you have them? Are you afraid a spider is going to bite you or do you have a more sever phobia of it where even if you see a picture of a spider the feeling of fear arises in you?

I used to have a severe case of Coulrophobia (the fear of clowns) because when I was maybe like four I saw the movie IT and it just freaked me out to no end. I still have a slight fear of them, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I still have a fear of them if I see them or if they come near me. I seriously get the urge to punch one in the face if it comes near me, lol. But that isn’t half as bad as the phobia that’s been with me all of my life and I have yet been able to get over it.

I’m like deathly afraid of haunted houses. Now, don’t go jumping to conclusions and saying, “yeah, but haunted houses are supposed to scare people.” I have it a bit worse than just being scared. The last time I tried to go into a haunted house (actually it was a wax museum with people in it that would jump out at you apparently) I had a nervous breakdown and that was only a few years ago. We were in Vegas and I had said I wanted to try to go in it (thinking maybe I could finally get over it even though I’ve tried getting over it a lot!), so we waited in line and I could feel my insides started to turn and I started to shake. We finally got into the first room and I lost it. I started shaking, crying, everything. My fiancĂ© had to help me leave because I had my eyes closed tight and I just didn’t want to move. So yeah, that’s my big thing. It may seem silly, but no matter how hard I try, I can’t get through a haunted house without breaking down.

I’m apparently going to be attempting to cure myself of this phobia again this upcoming October, but we’ll see what happens.

So, what about you guys? What are your fears and phobias?
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

http://familyvent.com

Back to top Go down

Fears and Phobias Empty Re: Fears and Phobias

Post by HeavenLeighDahl Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:12 am

I am terrified of spiders. They are the most freaky things I've ever seen. I can't look at a picture without freaking out, and I have these terrible nightmares. I end up waking up, screaming, and then throw the covers off myself and scramble to turn the light on and check myself. My husband used to check me and have to check the bed. Now... I stay up the rest of the night.

I'm also claustrophobic, and afraid of the dark and heights. So, yeah, I have a lot of fears.
HeavenLeighDahl
HeavenLeighDahl
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Syldoran Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:38 am

I don't like snakes or scorpions. I can handle them being around me, and I won't scream or cry or panic or anything like that, but I prefer to be at least ten feet away from them. Twenty or more is better. If they're behind glass, I don't care, but outside of that, keep it away. My best friend has tried on numerous occasions to get me to touch the snakes she messes with, but I never do. Bleh.
Syldoran
Syldoran
Foreshadow

http://syldoran.sheezyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by controlledsoul Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:28 am

I think that /maybe/ I might have Atychiphobia- a fear of failure- or something to that extent. The reason being that my older brother is on his way to being quite successful and such and I’m quite an indecisive person so I’m simply afraid that maybe.. Maybe my decisions aren’t the right one and that maybe.. I won’t be what I’m suppose to be.. Or something of the sort.

controlledsoul
Unreliable Narrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticaldragonmagic Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Insanely claustrophobic. Like if I can't see the walls because it's too dark, I feel that they're closing in on me, and I can't breathe. Yes, I know that the walls don't actually move, but telling myself that doesn't make it click in my mind. Also, hugs, a big no for me. I feel like the person is trying to suffocate me, and I start hyperventalating... That always gets awkward. But then, I also don't like to be touched so it adds to it and I spazz.

Then clowns, I know they won't hurt me, and I know that I am afraid because growing up I had a circus themed room. Circus stripes on the walls and clowns everywhere. I used to take down the clowns because they weirded me out, and then wake up the next morning with them hung back up. I know now that my mother had done it, but still when I see a clown I freeze up.
mysticaldragonmagic
mysticaldragonmagic
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum